| Can my wife apply for assistance if we are separated?

Can my wife apply for assistance if we are separated?

Joseph M asked:

My wife and I were recently separated. We are not legally divorced or even legal separated, because I have not set up residence yet. She is in a panic right now and wants to apply for everything that the government has, because I guess she thinks I’m going to suddenly stop supporting her, or she wants me to stop supporting her. I have no idea why. Can she legally apply for food stamps, medical assistance, WIC and section 8 housing, if I still have the intent on supporting her through our separation? Could we both get into serious trouble if she got assistance?
We have two kids. One is from her previous relationship.
Also, I do think she plans on not counting my income as hers.

Related posts:

  1. I live in Jackson, Ms. and I am wondering what I need to do to apply for housing assistance? rainbowglowgirl asked: I am only 19 years old, 4 months...
  2. Are there grants or any government funding for uninsured pregnancies? harmonyleone asked: Are there any grants or government funding that...
  3. How do you apply for child assistance ? Lindsay Marie* asked: how to get assistance from the government...
  4. Where do you apply for financial assistance (grants) to modify your home for a handicapped child? Loon asked: I am a single mother of a 4...

Filed Under Marriage & Divorce |

Tagged With , ,


7 Responses to “Can my wife apply for assistance if we are separated?”

  1. Candy on April 23rd, 2009 5:21 am

    I think you better see a lawyer about this.

  2. wilma s on April 25th, 2009 3:26 pm

    You are still legally married so any government assistance is not available …unless you have a low income and the both of you can qualify

  3. momof3 on April 28th, 2009 12:30 am

    If she doesnt report what you give her yeah…. Can’t imagine wanting to live like this… I am terminally ill and work full time, so my kids have a better life, than what I had…. Ignorance of the fules and stipulations isnt a valid reason to look the other way.

  4. Simply Lovely on April 28th, 2009 10:33 am

    Heads-up - For everything she signs up for, they will come after you for payment. She has to prove that she has no way to take care of herself or your children if you have any.

    You know that if you have no children she can pretty much forget about assistance. You did not mention if you have any or not.

    Why not tell her to get a job and support her self the way the rest of us do.

  5. Mrs. Robinson on May 1st, 2009 6:39 am

    she cant get it anyway. you and her finances are still attached and if you make more than poverty level, theyll deny her anyway.

    better make DAMN WELL SURE she doesn’t apply by lieing about her circumstances though. they could make YOU back pay during the time your still “married”.

  6. Kellie~Baby on May 2nd, 2009 4:08 am

    If you both have different residences she can file for assistance but when doing so she has to divulge the amount of support you are giving her. You would not get in trouble but she would. It would be in your best interest to fill out legal separation papers though you don’t have to submit them to the court, its just something covering your butt so to speak.

    To be honest if you don’t know where this is going it is best to get things in writing before there is bitterness between you two that way both of you will be protected.

  7. aljea on May 4th, 2009 6:30 am

    If you have moved out of the home then yes she can get those things. However, she needs to get the separation papers because they will start to wonder if she is frauding them. If you do give her money, she does need to report that to her worker. Be sure whatever money you do give her, you give her as a check so that you have proof of these payments in case anything goes down as far as child support goes, which if she gets welfare, medical, and foodstamps you do have to pay back; they will open a child support order automatically on you. One thing, keep those children on your health insurance because if she gets medical then you have to pay back every penny in doctor bills (I am talking about the full amount it would cost without insurance).